Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hung Over In Hell('s Kitchen)


Before we arrived, I was on maybe 2 hours of sleep. I was hanging out with a couple friends, who party like no other humans i know. So I failed to remember that while we were getting directions from Ryan Seacrest over the phone at 9 am how to fix a DVD player(ABSOLUTE TRUTH), that I would need to be up and dressed by 3pm to leave for the show.

The restaurant was in the cut down in Culver City and in an area that almost seemed like a back lot. They spent a lot of time on the outside tho, with a huge HK on the wall was backlit by changing lights and a Hells Kitchen sign that was engraved in steel and on fire. There were no phones allowed or photos to be taken, so I snuck the one up top as we were leaving.

I stumble out of the car and entering we skip past the actual restaurant to be briefed... and to have a few complimentary cocktails which almost made me immediately wasted again. Our crew, who were sharply dressed were chosen to get a more filmed table, that was real close to the action in the kitchen.

Those who watch the show, it was a special boys vs girls episode, so our table had to pick from either the red or blue menu. We all picked different items. I had Asparagus Raviolis for an ap, then an In Bone Filet with Horseradish Mashed Potatoes and Sauteed Cauliflower, and then for dessert an Almond Creme Brulee.

None of it was particularly good. I think one of us may have had a semi decent Lobster Bisque, but all in all everything was either bland or under/over cooked, but it was great to experience the amount of production that goes into one episode of television. It was really amazing.

"Gordon was really calm tonight, for a change", the one producer told us, looking around scared like an abused step child. "He did have a couple out bursts"... We think he called the one cook "A fucking joke" and threw a spoon at him, but all in all, it was a quieter day from the hotheaded chef.
We left after we filled out our judging cards, and overall I couldn't complain too much. The food was free and filling and the 6 beers I had sent me to a much needed sleep, immediately on the way back like a kid coming home from a long day at Disney Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment