Monday, February 15, 2010

Young Lovers and Truthseekers


Patti Smith has a new book out called "Just Kids" which chronicles her life in New York City during the 1970s and her relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe. This is a must read if youre a fan of her, or stories of teenage pregnancy, Arthur Rimbaud, Chelsea Hotel, Janice Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Andy Warhol, prostitution, etc.

“Some of us are born rebellious,” she writes at one revealing moment. “Reading the story of Zelda Fitzgerald by Nancy Milford, I identified with her mutinous spirit. I remember passing shop windows with my mother and asking why people didn’t just kick them in. She explained that there were unspoken rules of social behavior, and that’s the way we coexist as people. I felt instantly confined by the notion that we are born into a world where everything was mapped out by those before us. I struggled to suppress destructive impulses and worked instead on creative ones. Still, the small rule-hating self within me did not die.”

No comments:

Post a Comment